Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Silence

     I think the reason why Meher Baba and some other masters from India were silent is because they realize the spirituality of silence more in the east.
      Here ministers give long sermons of scripture and some are very inspiring.  Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount.
     Even at the Baba Center, they give long talks about meeting Baba.  I think if anyone would listen I might talk and talk, so I write.  LOL  
     There is something about silence that is endless, expansive, meditative and holy.  Like the mantra, the lotus is beautiful.  listen to the silence,or om mani padme hum.  Deva Premal sings a beautiful version of this chant.
     Every July tenth, there is a holy day where Meher Baba followers can observe silence in honor of His silence.
     Personally except when I am sleeping or meditating, I like to listen to books or watch television, or play music (play guitar and sing) or play CDs or Youtube, because sometimes silence makes me sad or lonely.
     Maybe this is due partly to the fact that I am visually impaired.  However, I am a very visual person, even though there is so much others see I do not.  I think I sometimes assume others see the way I do, because I take it for granted.
I am visually impaired in my dreams, but I do not think about it, unless there is an issue like getting lost or on the wrong bus, anxiety dreams.
      Once I dreamed I had eye surgery and woke up with perfect vision, but that is impossible.
     Last night I had yoga class.  I felt wonderful from it. Also had a great Course in Miracles class.  I can never get enough new age healing.
     When I was growing up in a Baba family, I kept silence on Silence Day.  My brother did as well.  We used to read comic books all day.  That is how we got through it.  If our telephone rang, my parents just let it ring and ring.  I do not think Dad liked Silence Day as he got older, because he was blind and it made him feel isolated.
      It is so interesting how we all grow up similarly and yet differently, with our different customs and rituals, religions and political conditioning as well as social economics and views on what is beautiful as to art, clothing, decorating, etc..  
     We are all one according to both Baba and the Course in Miracles, only the Course says we are minds, but Baba says we are souls or atmas.  He also said in God Speaks that we are one soul, atma.  This may sound like a contradiction.  I do not see it that way, because more than one thing can be true at once.  

2 comments:

  1. i remember a talk by ram das that i had on tape and listened to many times..it was recorded at the university of vancouver in british columbia in 1967 after he had returned from a long stay in india with his master neem karoli baba...he began..."if i were an artist..i would paint a picture for you...if i were a pianist... i would play a composition for you..if i were a dancer i would dance for you...but my thing is words....show me a man who has forgotten words....so i can have a word with him"

    ReplyDelete