Sunday, February 26, 2012

Meditation and Yoga

     Science has proven meditation to be good for the body as well as mind.*
Yoga is actually a union of body and mind.*  
     I have known people who said they tried meditation and were unable to, either because their thoughts raced or because they could not visualize.  Although I am legally blind, I have had eyesight in my life and visualize pretty much anything, even things I have never seen.  For example:  if you asked me to visualize the top of Mount Everest or a place like Paris or Calcutta, India or America in the '40's, just random things I can think of right now, I can picture them, even though I have never seen them before in real life or at least this life.
     The good news is that anyone can learn to meditate.  I was told by Dr. Gibbs years ago, to start meditating and doing yoga.  He showed me a picture of his master Baba Hari Daas, who I do not think is still living.  He used an alphabet 
board and was silent for many years like Meher Baba.
      I said, "well Meher Baba does not stress meditation that much.  We are just to love Him."  However as time went on I respected Dr. Gibbs more and more and yes I admit there was a little crush there, but it was a totally professional relationship, although I must say I came to love Dr. Gibbs, because he was a true healer as a physician of the mind.  He also knew much about nutrition and helped me in this way.
     I asked him one day how to meditate, and he told me you just watch your breath.  He once gave a talk which I took my mother and son to, about the big mind vs. the little mind.  For example if your romance breaks up, the little mind says: "I'm going to kill myself.  I can't go on without him/her.  I'm dying here.  I need to get drunk for a week..."  I'm being funny here I know, getting carried away.  But, the big mind says, "there's other fish in the sea."  Alright you may be thinking this sounds shallow or flippant, but really it makes sense totally.
     Now I practice yoga and meditation on a regular basis and it is of great help to me for stress, depression, health both mental and physical.  When the thoughts come, you just let them go.  The mind goes blank.  This is a way to rest the mind.  Sometimes I will see things in my third eye which I pay no mind to, but enjoy the journey through portholes and vortexes.  Through chakra mediation I have experienced colors for every chakra pose, from root to crown, the third eye and crown most intensely.  I have never done drugs, so do not get any ideas.  I have experienced all this sober, clean and  sober.
      Now, another way to meditate as to do yoga is in a group or class situation which can in and of itself have great power, the unity and oneness of meditation with others is an esoteric joining that is amazing in its depth.  The minds are like a collective mind.  
      Guided visualizations are great ways to meditate.  I was asked when I belonged to a Methodist church where I sang in the choir and was very active, such as writing a skit, playing music, etc., to do some sort of workshop or presentation for the older people, so I led a guided meditation, which led to a place where Jesus was and what you would tell Him and what He would tell you.  Then people shared their experiences.  It was really nice.
    I would like to add that I too have racing thoughts in general sometimes, but the practice of meditation on a regular basis can help one to control this and completely stop these thoughts with discipline of meditation.
     Also, as far as not being able to visualize, ex:  I have a friend from the Commission for the Blind who has been blind from birth.  I described to him and led him around having him feel the artwork, of which was of more than one 
texture and sculptures at the hotel we were all put up in while the dorms were being remodeled.  If someone cannot visually visualize in his/her mind, there are other senses that can be imagined, feel, smell, hearing, taste, and just intuition in and of itself.
*Depok Chopra Aging Body, Timeless Mind: Quantum...

No comments:

Post a Comment