Monday, March 5, 2012

Budget Cuts and Politics

     According to a friend of mine who is very intelligent, the governor of a state is the one who vetoes where money would go or not.  Thus, not wanting to make anyone mad or anything, and I should probably write to one of my senators, like Lindsay Graham, but I am very disappointed in Governor Haley.  I liked Mark Sandford better, leaving alone his marital infidelity and running off on Father's Day, when he had four boys at home and a lovely wife, which goes without saying, Jenny Sandford. 
     I am by no means a Republican, although I think both parties have certain  good points.  I think it depends on the individual politician, although for the record I am a registered Democrat and have voted in every presidential election from the time I was eighteen and in college and helped vote in Jimmy Carter.
My boyfriend at the time was going to vote for Ronald Reagan, but I talked him into voting for Carter, not that Ronald Reagan was bad or anything.  In fact he is responsible for amnesty at the time for Mexicans and for earned income credit on tax returns for single parents. This definitely effected my life when I was working, in a good way.  President Obama said he modeled himself partly after Reagan and also Abraham Lincoln, but of course we all know the parties were different back then.
     Yes I realize Reagan did some really goofy things like visiting an S.S. Officer's grave in Germany, although he did also visit the concentration camps.  The other bad thing was selling arms to Iran I believe.  I know I am preaching to the choir, because I doubt many conservatives would like my political articles.
     The reason I am upset with my governor, is because this is the first time ever that budget cuts have effected the Commission for the Blind, where I spent five months of my life adjusting to blindness, so that they can no longer pay for the lenses for blind people's already charity, gift of sight, lion's club donated frames.  Of all the things to cut spending for, blind people.  This is outrageous.
Next they will be making blind people pay for their own cane for the visually impaired or their own UV protection sunglasses that rap around, etc..  This saddens me.  There are children in this state that are blind as well, many of them.
     Well thanks for letting me vent a bit.
But, I will say it again, we were better off with Sandford, and I hate to admit it.
This reminds me of Sarah Palin wanting women to pay for their own rape kits.  This is why I love freedom of speech.
     I just would like to add that South Carolina is a poor state, and the more poverty, the more blindness.  However, retinitis pigmentosa, which I have, has nothing to do with social economics. Yet, I will say that a lack of education which poverty causes, and lack of knowledge about a particular eye condition can very well cause the condition to be worsened by for example allowing too much sunlight into the eyes causing the atrophy of the retina to occur even faster, or not being fitted with the correct prescription to correct the eyesight as much as possible for the individual, which would cause eye strain, possible migraines and thus more rapid deterioration.  Another example would be a case of bacterial or viral conjunctivitis gone untreated too long.  
     Another example would be a lack of prenatal care, causing premature birth, causing R.O.P. a type of blindness caused by the light of an incubator.  Although this has improved over the years, premature birth care, I have met at least two blind people, both women who are only in their twenties who have this condition.  
     Also, a lack of prenatal care could cause a vitamin deficiency, such as folic acid, a very necessary vitamin B supplement during pregnancy, causing the eyes to not develop fully and properly, causing legal blindness in some cases, because the eyes do not develop past the newborn stage in their seeing properties, although the eyes would look normal to the outsider.
     The possibilities are almost endless, and I know that blindness must seem like the most depressing thing in the world, but those who are visually impaired learn to adapt, and I being one of those, enjoy the topic of blindness.  I would like to think of myself as an advocate, not a victim of circumstance.  Everyone has a cross to bare.  I hate that expression so rather I should say, everyone has problems I suppose.
     These are all the more reasons why the poor need Medicaid.  When my children were in school, I was given forms to apply for Medicaid for my children and they qualified due to my low income.  However, some parents either cannot or do not read these, and their children end up without health care.  If things remain as they are, poor children do have access to these things, such as health care.  Sometimes, parents need more information.
     If my son becomes a rock star, one of them, he can talk about his trials and tribulations as a child in the poor south, etc., just as long as it is not like I'm Sorry Mama, by M&M.  LOL  Or else my kids might be really mad at me one day for letting everyone know our trials and tribulations.  Just kidding.  I think they will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment