Friday, February 17, 2012

Hysterics of the Ego

     In the I Ching, it mentions the hysterics of the ego.  I know exactly what that means.  The ego, not the ego in psychology that we all supposedly need to live, but the ego in existential or spiritual terminology being the sort of downfall in the face of adversity which we are often led by.
     I have noted in my own experience that ego based decisions were not usually made for the right reasons.  Examples of this would be for me, going to India for a romance rather than Baba or getting angry because I did not get the right response or playing games where I had to end up on top.  Wanting to have the last word, being right rather than happy like Chopra talks about.  All these are being one's own worst enemy, shooting oneself in the foot every time, because this little 'terrible two' year old inside is having temper tantrums, because no one is responding in the exact right way.  
     Chasing responses to the ego is what I call hysterics of the ego.  I forgot to turn my phone off last night and an angry message woke me up at 4:00AM which is just rude and although I did get back to sleep, I woke up with a headache, but I am so busy feeding and fussing over my pets in the morning and trying to get my coffee made so I can even function, even though I have to take my dog for his first walk of the morning in a stupor, because I am just not ready to face the day.
     It is a beautiful day outside though, and I really enjoy simple conversations with my neighbors, as simple as "did your dog come back", "how is your son", etc.. "I think he went that way."
     I think if you are looking for a reaction in someone, and I mean me really when I say you, chances are that is not going to happen.  So chasing results just does not work for me.  There is a book written decades ago called The Games People Play.  I think some people are real straight shooters and do not play games, but I think most people play some sort of game.  I think society and success and the type of goals we value as a culture seem to force us into playing a certain amount of the game, as well as learned behavior and gender roles and ways of attracting the opposite sex or same sex if you happen to be gay.
      Sometimes, if you let go of all this, and just be in the now, wanting nothing, like Tolle talks about, then all this suffering that the hysterics of the ego produces may simply mellow and even vanish.  
     If I am led by love, rather than my ego, and if my choices are made by love rather than desire or goal seeking, then all will be better, and I think the end result will be happiness, prosperity and good will.  
     In fact the ego can lead us straight into humiliation, the very opposite of what it wants.  And, that is the unfortunate thing, so I think misfortune only darkens our doorstep until we follow the path of love, the path of our Higher Power, who some call God, Providence, Paramatma, Beyond beyond, Allah, Yezdam, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment