Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bad Vibe Experience: I Survived or I should Say We Survived

     As many of you know I am pretty into yoga.  In fact I used to date a yoga teacher, nice guy too, but a bit young for me, no not what you are thinking.  I did not meet him at yoga, nor was I a soccer Mom although I was one once upon a time as well as a Cup Scout den parent, my husband, former husband I mean and I were very involved with the Cub Scouts.
     I met my friend the yoga teacher at a party and hit it off and had some karma together, although my older son was with me and he was only three years younger than my then fellow.  My son was standing there like a guard.  You would have to be there.  
     Then we walk into my house holding hands and my then seventeen year old son is sitting there watching TV and I say "David, this is my boyfriend..."  I will leave out names to protect the innocent.  Who walks into their house with someone they just met that night in a committed relationship, perhaps someone who needs to be committed.  Ha ha.  Well I did not sleep with him in case you were wondering.  Not that night anyway or at least.  I am being humorous once again.
     Last year I was getting ready to go to Kripalu for teacher training and my lovely yoga teacher on the south end was helping me, giving me a little extra coaching and posting classes on my web page.  
     Well, recently, since we, my friends and I, since I am legally blind and do not drive of course, were not going as often to the south end of town for certain reasons, I came across a yoga studio that looked somewhat inviting and intriguing although it was locked at the time.
    So, I called the owner and found out when yin yoga was and I met my friends there after a practice session with a lady I was recording with.  We were to exchange Christmas presents since it was near Christmas and we would be spending the holidays with our respective families.  Then one of them would drive me home.  
     The owner of this studio had a strange way, a sort of tuning you out quality like when you talked to her, she did not hear or care to hear a word you said, but I still did not judge.  The class was alright, a little weak and the spirituality missing.  She talked too fast and read out of books and magazines way too fast, way too manic.  Yoga is supposed to be relaxing and calm and meditative.  
     I had a five free class pass which she took saying I might lose it.  I forgot to mention she got really weird about me bringing my own mat and blanket and the fact  that I brought my purse in, but I would not be a door mat.  I left my coat and boots, etc out in the shelves.
     Well I went back on a night when they had a vinyasa class.  I came with a friend.  She told me to place my mat in back where I cannot see, and I was having a hard time seeing.  I know the positions when called but some were new and I just could not see.
     So, I got an email from her about coming to class, so I invited another friend.  So far none of my friends could tolerate this woman.  I forgot to mention I could hear her doing a photo shoot the entire time.  I figured it was for advertising.
    I went with another friend and now I know I will never return.  Nor will any of my friends.  After putting the money in the thing that looked like an ashes urn, which she told me to put it in, I put my yoga mat down not obtrusively, but somewhat close so I could see.  She said, "go in back Leslie."  
     I said, "I can't see.  I need to be up hear where I can see."  
      She said, "alright".
      I said, "why do you want me to go back there?"
      "Because you kind of do your own thing." she said.
      "No, I don't," I said.
      Well the truth was, from the way she was acting that she had these twenty somethings she made a big fuss over like it was high school only high school students are much more mature and deep than this chick.  She had an attitude and I will never go back there unless I was a masochist.  I tried to see her through the Holy Spirit thought system, Course in Miracles.  I tried to be open minded.  I felt good physically from the exercise, although my friend and I had gone for a vigorous walk before hand as well.  
It did not bother me at any deep level because I knew it was all nonsense, illusion, ego and pardon the expression bullshit.  
     After rolling up my mat, then grabbing my boots and jacket, cane for the visually impaired which I use mostly at night only, because RP causes night blindness and sometimes in crowded stores like Walmart because I have zero vision in my right eye and do not want to run into people or shelves.  I went outside in the cool night air and waited for my friend to go to dinner after.
     My friend had her own bad experience with her, but all my friends have had bad experiences with her in different ways.  I think she tries to get us to come to torture us.  No, I am sure it is for the money and popularity, but now that I have brought two new people and got two to unhappily go back, in fact the first time I went one of my friends looked traumatized when she got there.  They had thought someone else who quit would be teaching.  
      I am not writing this to assassinate anyone's character.  I have kept this anonymous.  It reminded me of how after taking two modern dance classes at Lander
University when I was young, I took a modern dance class at U. S. C. and this teacher really treated some differently, one girl and I were discussing it in the locker room, because she was getting the same attitude.

When I went to the registrar's office to drop the class the woman working there told me she had had a lot of complaints about this teacher.
      I have decided to be more and more honest and real with my articles, especially since a friend turned me onto Margaret Cho, who I listened to eight tracks of last night.  Good stuff.  Radical.

No comments:

Post a Comment