Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to Make a Halter Top

     Although I know my halter tops, which I used to 
make when I had more eyesight, are atypically unique,
and perhaps only an artsy crowd would like them, I had them for sale at a high end boutique, one
arts and crafts show and one gallery boutique which sold
clothing as well as shoes, paintings, and handmade purses and jewelry.
     So, this is how to make them:  start by measuring from a fitted shirt or sports bra and if you want to make it larger or smaller, just add more inches or subtract some, horizontally and vertically.
     I only know how to crochet, but I suppose you could 
just as easily knit.  Good yarn is costly, but I found that 
some of the most expensive imported yarns are hard to
work with, but the softness is far superior, so whether you want multiple colors in one yarn or want to switch
colors for different parts, this is totally up to you.
     Once the knitted or crocheted rectangular part is finished, you have to choose the lining cloth for modesty and comfort.  Walmart has a great craft section where you can find scraps very cheap.
     Then comes the trim, which can be right off the
spools or in with the scraps as long as you have enough.  Again this is just a matter of preference and
color coordination.  I cannot see certain colors anymore, but color is relative to your own preference.
      Cut, fold and pin the fabric to fit the knitted front
piece so that it is hemmed under the knitted part.  I did
not own a sewing machine, so I stitched the edges by hand and then hand stitched a trim to the top and bottom.  
     In order to add shape to this product, add two darts to the top of the chest on each side, measuring distance 
from both sides.  
     Now the easy part, the straps, which you can make by either producing beginning chains with your crochet
hook which is also a way to make dream catchers, but
that is another project.  The other option is to use cloth
ribbon of your choice for straps.
     Voila!  You have your halter top.

No comments:

Post a Comment