Sunday, February 19, 2012

How to Stay Happy

     Depak Chopra wrote a book which I have read called The Ultimate Happiness Prescription.  I am no Depok Chopra, but I feel happy today or tonight,and I have suggestions for happiness too.
     Some people are stuck in jobs they do not enjoy but do not have any options and all sorts of situations that cause unhappiness, but I think if you can do something you like at all, it helps, even if you have to pretend your job is fun.  I have had to do that.  
      This is not a suggestion, but I once stayed at a job for three years and my new boss was so mean that I sabotaged my job so that I could get fired, because I do not like to quit.  It worked.  Truthfully, I wanted to keep my job, because it hurt, but it was also the same month in which my father died and my companion of four years left me.  
     I think another suggestion is to keep trying to do what it is that is your passion, whether it be painting or working with children or being a veterinarian.
    Another thing is to always have acceptance and see the glass as half full, not half empty.  Everyone has problems.
    Do not hang around with people who drag you down, whether it is a relative or a person you are dating.  I guess if you are married unhappily it is a lot harder.  I have been through that with two children.  When he finally left, it was like tearing a bandage off fast, rather than bit by bit.
      The next suggestion is hard for me, but I know it is the only way, forgiveness, something which can seem damn near impossible and I have forgiving to do.  I am bitter about some things, but sometimes forgiveness is a miracle that suddenly happens like seeing the light, halelulah.  An example for me was on my son's birthday when he was so sick and I walked into his room to find him in bed with his father silently sitting in a chair reading the scriptures (his father is a Christian).  I backed out of the room.  I felt this sudden surrender and freedom from resentment.  I joked to my friends in my self-deprecation that he was exercising my evil demons.  Get behind thee.  Seriously though, it was a very freeing experience.  I did not say anything about it.  I think it was obvious.  
Also when your child is sick, it is hard to hate the other parent if they too care and he does very much.
     Another suggestion is not having expectations.  This is hard, but if you do not expect so much from others, disappointment which is a terrible feeling, having had a lot of it as we all have, then the let-downs will not be as severe.
      Always keep a sense of humor.  I try not to take myself too seriously.  Well, truthfully I do take myself seriously as a woman, mother, singer, musician, writer, poet, etc., but I am always quick to laugh about myself. 
      Oversensitive myself, I know how hurt feelings can get you down, but remember that people even nice people, unless they are just totally insensitive jerks, do not want to have to edit their every thought while speaking to one another.  I know sometimes I will say something I did not mean to, and actually I have been accused of choosing my words too carefully.  Well, really only ex-boyfriends said that, so I am not sure they are right, because someone I used to be around a bit, would get furious at the slightest thing I said, and it was always a delayed reaction, yelling about some little dumb remark that I did not mean anything by, but this is an example of toxicity, and although I look at everyone through the Holy Spirit thought system, it is not healthy to be vulnerable to these types of attacks, even if cries for love.  What I mean is that one must protect oneself by staying away from this type person.  Just wish them well in your heart, but keep a distance.  I have repeated these mistakes a lot, so I am not claiming to have it made or have it all together here.  But, sometimes people say something that sounds weird, yet you know they mean well and just are not censoring every word nor should they.  However if someone really says some weird stuff to you that blows you away, especially more than once, I think it is time to part company.
      Lastly, say a mantra like, it is God in which the light I see, ACIM workbook lesson from last Monday.  This can help in arduous situations and situations which tempt one to lash out or get mad.
I almost got mad at the hospital picking up my son's things the other day, but I got them and it worked out, but I said this mantra to myself the whole time.
     Exercise is really helpful, especially yoga.  Meditation is helpful in slowing down racing thoughts.  Emptying the mind or visualizing is one of the most helpful tools I have learned.
      Being around others when you need to be and spending alone time when you need to be is good for balance.  Too much of either is not necessarily good.  Even married people need to have a little time for themselves.  
     Pets make me and many people happy.  Buying yourself a treat, something you want, need and can afford can be a real cheer up.  
     I find that asking someone else how they are when I feel terrible gets me out of self, but at the same time there are times when it is essential to confide in someone when you are going through a lot.
     Getting enough sleep and eating well and taking vitamins makes a person feel happier too, because the self-respect it takes to do these things is an assett and achievement and holistically, the mind, body and spirit are all connected.
     Lastly, being here now like Ram Daas talks about and realizing the power of now as Eckhart Tolle's book is named are important.  And, most important is Meher Baba's quote, "don't worry be happy."  Some people think that came from Bobby McFarren, but actually I heard he saw it on a Baba poster at Tuck and Patty's who are famous musicians who happen to follow and love Meher Baba.  It does not really matter who said it.  It just happens to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment