Tuesday, February 21, 2012

All About Style

      Last fall I received a Patterson J. Kincaid sweater.  It was more than I expected, although it was really beautiful, it reminded me of clothes I had made up.  I thought it was just a nice gray sweater that zipped up the front and had  a beautiful open knit in back with a touch of cashmere.
     It turned out it was reversible in all directions, back and forth, up and down.  It reminded me of clothes I had designed and made up that were reversible like my halter tops, although I could never really imagine wearing the knit on the inside.  I really put the cotton lining in for more comfort.
     A friend of one of my sons who I gave one to, said it was amazingly comfortable.
      I do not knit and sew anymore but enjoy looking at clothes on line and sometimes in stores.  When  I was a child I would draw clothing and color them in.  My mother was always impressed.  I would always make the tops elaborate with embroidery and lace up boots, colorful, and very influenced by seventy's styles.
     I miss some of the styles available back then, such as dark green boots, burgundy lace up boots, front zipping boots and most of all I miss Mexican peasant blouses.  Everything is made in India now, nice but not the same.
     I bought a top with a square neck and embroidery ties at the puff sleeves at J.C. Penney in Columbia.  I never see anything like that here.  
    A few years ago I found a Mexican embroidered dress at the Salvation Army in Conway and bought it for only four dollars.
     The amazing thing is how inexpensive clothing can be these days.
For example, I found these great organic cotton tee shirts for only three dollars.  There was only one left in my size, a sort of lavender.  I have trouble seeing colors, especially the more subtle differences of similar hues.  I put it up to pink, something I knew was pink and figured it to be lavender, because it had the tiniest hint of blue I think.  I was drawn to light blue, green, but they did not have my size and I think I have that color.  I try not to be redundant about owning more than one of anything the same, unless it is like matching plates and glasses, etc..
     Lately I have been drawn to white and light colors which is different, because I am usually a wearer of black.  I look good in black I think.  It is always a stylish look to wear black, especially on dress up occasions like weddings and evenings out.  Black is simple, sophisticated and timeless as well as black accessories.
    I am looking forward to seeing what is coming out this spring.  I know jegging shorts are out now and flowing cowal necks.  I hope that the flowy cardigan look stays in, because I have accumulated a few of those.  Legging and jegging are still very much in style, and of course we always make our own style.
    Sometimes clothing and accessories are worth the price of their label, but sometimes not.  I once got a fabulous pair of pink Betsy Johnson jeans in San Francisco.  They were marked down from 400 dollars to 75.  I was selling my CD's like hotcakes.  They had just come out and I was performing at Irwin Luck's film premiere at the Palace of Fine Art's so I was able to advertise in person.  Having a lot of cash, I had been able to purchase the most expensive pants I ever got.  
     When it comes to socks, I got two pairs of Betsy Johnson over the knee socks at a discount store, one flowered and one plaid.  Although, they are really pretty, the top is a little tight and uncomfortable.  
     I see designer tights on line, but the reviews are often not so great.  Angelina are the best, because the one size fits most really are one size.  The thermal tights which are really great, got great reviews that they deserve.  They are more like ribbed than thermal.  My girlfriend gave me some cable black leggings which I really like and I got the last velour ones at Stein Mart.  They are more like narrow pants, which is nice because you do not have to wear a tunic.
     One thing I learned recently, when I got a new dress for a wedding I was going to attend, I thought I needed a bra that was not visible.  However, the strapless bra was too big.  Then I realized all I needed to wear was a matching cami underneath.  A girlfriend had told me this years ago, but I had forgotten.  
      I like yoga clothing.  You can get some great yoga clothing at Walmart and J. C. Penney.  I think the prAna yoga clothes on line are way too highly priced.  I cannot say whether they are worth it, because I never bought any.  They do have sales from time to time.
      Although I love Hurley, a junior surf brand, I bought a pair of black yoga pants in junior large since I am a women's medium, but they are really big. I did not throw in the towel on Hurley though, because they are usually right on and good quality.
     My problem is shoes.  I do not have many, because I like boots so much.  In the summer my mother forces me to buy flip flops and sneakers, and I do have some ballet slippers, high heel sandals, one pair in shiny red with cork bottoms, clogs and a pair of bright yellow flats for when I am in the mood for bright yellow accessories.
      I think everyone needs certain classics, a black velvet blazer, which I no longer have, a denim jacket, a gray blazer, a pin stripe suit, a pair of loose pants like Kathryn Hepburn might have worn once, a pair of skinny jeans,  some scoop necks and turtlenecks, and a pair or two of boot cut pants or jeans.  And of course everyone needs tanks and tee's.
      





No comments:

Post a Comment