Friday, December 21, 2012

Unnecessary Glorification of Suffering

     I agree with Marianne Williamson, that there is too much glorification of suffering.  If we focus on the crucifixion and not the resurrection, including our own suffering, we miss something.  I believe in the resurrection.  I know Baba followers don't for the most part, but I am not a traditional Baba follower, and I do believe in the resurrection.
     I also believe in Christmas in the Course in Miracles sense.  It is the birth of Christ our brother, and our own birth in the Holy Spirit.  
     I too have had a dark night of the soul, but that is not where I choose to dwell, and I do not demand spiritual points for this, a ridiculous notion in my opinion.  However, I do feel that the pain has brought me to read books like Return to Love, while a Course in Miracles was just something I was brought by a friend to, and it really made sense, so I kept coming back, as they say in Alcoholics Anonymous.
     I thought all my past which I wanted healed would suddenly be cured, but it is not like that.  It is still difficult, not a magical or sudden cure.  I know though, that the light is somewhere at the end of this tunnel, my physical eyes and metaphorical eyes as well. I know someday, maybe when I die, I will finally heal.  I do not know.  One day I think I have found all the answers and it all makes sense, and then I will get sad again or angry or resentful, so I am far from enlightened in some ways, but I am enlightened in that I know that this is illusion, and all that exists is love, and this suffering is nil.  It is bullshit.  I can meditate, clear my mind, and this pain is meaningless.
     I believe in the resurrection in my own life, because I almost died near Easter in 2003.  I was in intensive care in the Loris hospital and then at M.U.S.C. in Charleston, where I spent Easter Sunday.  I could have died, but I was supposed to live for a reason, perhaps for my children.  I feel God let me live, gave me another chance.  And, that it was Easter, is no coincidence.  Nothing is, really.
     All that is is love, Heaven, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit thought system.  When I say Jesus, I mean Jesus, our perfect brother.  
There are many names of God, all are perfect, and He hears them all.  We all have our own God of our understanding.  What matters most is what they call in AA, step 11, a couscous contact to God through prayer and meditation.
     So, now in the spirit of Christmas, I celebrate the birth of Christ and my own birth in the Holy Spirit, oneness, and the innocence of the Christ child is our own innocence reflected back in this new birth, this newness, not to be construed with 'born again' in a fundamentalist sense, but a new life in oneness.  And, forgiveness or corrected perception, which is synonymous with forgiveness is atonement.  The Course in Miracles uses Christian terminology in a more eastern type of philosophy, and words like atonement have a slightly different meaning.  This way, the western mind, whether Christian or Jewish can understand. I have known a few Jews, including Marianne Williamson, who I do not know personally, but is Jewish, who had very little problem with the idea of Jesus.  I guess, deep down, people from Jewish backgrounds really want to love Jesus, a Jew himself, our brother once again.  On the other hand, I knew one guy, who was really into A Course in Miracles and kept coming to classes, but he said, "I'm Jewish, so I cannot relate to the Christian terminology."  But, even he really accepted it.  According to the story, Helen channeled Jesus, and dictated to Bill throughout the writing of the book.  This happened in New York City in the '60's, but I do not think the book became available until the '70's.  Return to Love by Marianne Williamson came out around '92.  I am amazed how enlightened people were compared to me, back then, looking back, even though I was at the '69 Darshan when I was seven years old, spent time with Mehera, and was in India when I was twelve, singing on Mehera's porch and again at twenty-five during problems in my marriage, when I was a young wife and mother.  Happy Birthday Dearest Mehera J. Irani, Meher Baba's Beloved, tomorrow.  Tomorrow is also my son's wedding day, but I will unfortunately not be there, because he is living in Peru.  (Just found out my son David's wedding is postponed, just to be accurate.)  {note added on December 22, '12}
All my love and happy holidays, my beloveds.

No comments:

Post a Comment