Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cougars and Paint Brushes

     It was a gorgeous day today, here in the south, warm and sunny.  I went to the hardware store for supplies, including white enamel and brushes for touching things up, like corrosion, and I found the most beautiful arts and craft brushes made of pony hair.  
     At first I just bought a set of just three, but later walked back and exchanged them for a more extensive set.  I am dreaming of all the beautiful things I can do with the brushes if I just get some colorful paint.  I could paint on paper or wood.  Most of my furniture and walls, I have already painted all over, well really mostly the kitchen.  I would like one wall a heavenly blue, but I imagined painting porcelain dolls and things, you know quaint stuff.
     A guy no more than twenty-five looked me up and down.  I was wearing my skinny jeans and combat boots with my Kelly green sweater.  Also, I had my hair in a ponytail and had earrings and green eye shadow.  Maybe I was just standing out too much.  I am not a cougar anymore. 
     No, those days are over.  Now I am over fifty, over the hill, fifty-one, legally blind.  I am more like a grandmother now, even ask for a senior discount if I'm short on cash.  No, I am not a cougar anymore.  I never really was, and I suppose I still could be if I wanted to, but my psyche is changing, as I run wild with the wolves, as in Women Who Run With the Wolves, I have become a bit of a lone wolf.  I lost my tribe years ago in a sense.  Some of us dropped out of the sky to the wrong family, the wrong religion, the wrong everything.  I feel I did.  I feel I belonged to someone else, somewhere else, and never found my lost tribe.  Oh, my children are my tribe, and although I know this is a textbook narcissistic symptom, but I feel like my kids are a part of me, my people.  
     A guy who knew my son David, saw me for the first time and said, "you look so much like David."  That was a compliment.  Sometimes people think my kids are my brothers.  Well, so much for self-flattery.  On to more important matters of the day.  Namaste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment