Monday, July 16, 2012

Do Not Sell Yourself Short

      I have not made money on my music since the eighties, except for a few CD's that never made or were meant to make a profit.
    Lately more focused on my writing, when telling someone I met about American Boys and Adrien's Story, an article I wrote on Operation Iraqi Freedom, they referred to making money, but truthfully money never crossed my mind.
     I have never written to make money although I have been attempting to write a novel since high school and submitted a short story about the first time I fell in love with an English bassoon player at music camp in Vermont when I was fourteen, unrequited love I suppose, at least romantically.  He loved me as a friend, but led me on I suppose by being romantic.  Well, all the magazines, like Seventeen, etc. rejected my article.
     I have had many rejections in terms of schools and career.  My mother had me apply for Harvard even though Dad was not earning enough money for me to ever go there, and of course I was turned down.  I was turned down at my audition at age fifteen at Winston Salem School of the Arts.  I was turned down for the TV show Fame, when my best friend in L.A.'s husband, an agent had me audition.
     My point is never sell yourself short.  We all lose some and gain some.  I have not been turned away from everything.  And, if you cannot make money at what you do and have to get money another way, then do not think that what you do is any less.  Many professionals call themselves amateurs for technical purposes.
     Well, I just wanted to say that.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment