Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Executive Encouragement

It has been a long time since I worked in the workforce, but I was talking to a friend about difficulties at work. Most of my work was in retail or the school system. I was a full-time regular substitute teacher at several schools, mostly fourth and fifth grade.
     I worked at a health food store for three years in the '90's, where every little thing you did wrong, or maybe it was just me, you got screamed at, literally, even the smallest mistake.  
     I think employees would benefit as far as productiveness if during employee, employer meetings, they got complimented for the things they did right or for working extra hard.  It is not easy to unload the boxes from a truck, check them off on the invoice, price them and put them away, all the while stopping to wait on customers with no one there to help you, or take your own vehicle to the other branch, pick up produce and other products for the other store, completely filling up and loading down your own car.
     Yes I know hard work is good for the soul and all, but why can employers not show more appreciation?  This would make a big difference as far as workplace morale.  
    When I was teaching at one school in particular, our principle who was a woman with a PhD., who would call me to her office from time to time to tell me I handled a certain situation the right way.  Perhaps I was just better with children than health food.  I do not know.  I miss teaching sometimes, mostly the hugs and little cards I got from children.  Plus, I had young children then, so hours-wise it was a good schedule.
     They say to be successful, write project plan report, do not multitask, text less and use the phone more, set goals and a time to meet them, be pleasant in the workplace and get enough sleep at night.  
     I admit I am guilty of multitasking, listening to books while on the computer, working on a music project and a writing project at once or working on a poem while getting ready to go somewhere, well not exactly, I mean, stopping momentarily.
    I hope everyone had a good holiday.  I know I did.  
Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment