Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Staying Sane During the Holiday Season

The holidays can be a stessful time, especially if you are working, have a big family and or a lot going on as most  of us do. As a homemaker and as someone who works at home, I have lots of good suggestions.
     It does not matter if you are single or married, have children or not, although small children really get excited about Christmas so parents of youngsters have more expected of them of course.  And, we are all just kids inside.  I know I am.
      Whether you celebrate Hannukah or Christmas, here are my suggestions for a peaceful holiday season.
Lights brighten up any neighborhood.  I really appreciate the beautiful lights that make a neighborhood more homey.  As far as indoor decor a small tree, some ornaments and a few lights are good enough.  And, for Hannukah, blue tealights are lovely.  Hannukah candles are available in the kosher section of most big grocery stores as well as traditional kosher Hannukah foods.
     Over-relation can be a problem for some people.  Although we may have many places to go or people coming to visit, such as relatives or we may be going to visit family, we do not have to go to every single event, which may lead to stress. Ladies, a little red dress is the 'new little black dress' at Christmas if you cannot find something to wear. 
     If you are spending time with relatives, keep the topic of conversation light if you can or try to change the subject if anyone seems uncomfortable.  Keep it simple.  
     With the economic problems most of us experience, we can economize.  You can cook a chicken rather than turkey with or without stuffing, vegetables and potatoes in the oven.  Cranberry sauce is easy to make fresh with clove, orange peal, sugar and or sugar substitute for the sugar intolerant.
     The next thing is giving gifts.  I decided to mainly give gifts to my family this year with a few small exceptions.  Many great deals can be found on line for just about anything.  Also discount stores have amazing things.  Of course I was brought up very frugally and have always had to economize, I think most of us do these days.  Shopping on line is a good way to do price comparison without running around and is good for someone like me who does not drive.
     As far as ornaments, trinkets and decorations, some can be found at thrift shops or made my hand with construction paper, glitter, markers, a hole puncher and yarn.  Paper clips can substitute for ornament hangers that might be missing.  And last of all stocking stuffers can easily be found at discount stores.  I think useful things are really appreciated.
     I remember one Christmas in California when my x-husband and I were very poor with a baby and he stuffed my stocking with brand new shirts that he had bought inexpensively in various colors and very stylish.  I felt bad because all I got him was a toothbrush and his Christmas stocking was so empty.  Those were the days.  Keep in mind, I was only twenty-two at the time.  Now I have a twenty-two year old and know how young that is.  A baby with a baby I was. 
     Well I hope you found this article light and helpful. Have a wonderful Christmas, Hannukah season.  Love to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment