Friday, March 23, 2012

Dealing With Pollen

     It is Spring, the birds are singing, time for planting and harvesting.  Flowers are for sale on store fronts.  The cats like to be outside.  It is not cold and it is not hot.  You can walk, go for a ride and you may even fall in love if you are lucky.  You may be inspired to work on projects like paintings and writing and music or sewing.  You might want to play basketball, volleyball or go for a boat ride.
It is a nice time for walking dogs on the beach before it becomes illegal and too hot and crowded during the day.  Plus, the traffic is not bad yet.
     The only drawback about Spring is the pollen, especially if you are allergic and I do not think I know anyone totally immune to pollen.  Some have hay fever worse than others.  I have to be careful about my eyes mostly.
Some find themselves needing a shot to help with it.
     So, I thought I would write my thoughts on pollen and ways to deal with it.  For one, everyone knows washing down your vehicle, golf cart or motorcycle, not to mention bicycle or moped,
but I have a few helpful ideas.
     One, if you have heat and air, do not open the windows.  Before you know it, the pollen is in the house.  Take your shoes off when coming in so as not to track it onto carpets and flooring.  Vacuum and change AC filters frequently.  Wipe down garden and patio furniture daily.
     I used to love planting flowers, but I seem to have lost my flare for it.  I look at flowers to plant, like gerber daisies, but I think to myself, it will be one more thing to take care of and I do not have outdoor water, so when I do have anything growing, I need to bring water outside.  I realize that this is an issue that can be solved, and I will when I get around to it.  So, right now I have not much to say about gardening.  I only have one outdoor plant and one indoor plant right now, unless any annuals return, like the one on my orange tabby and white cat, Tiger's grave sight.  He was my favorite.  I used to have three.  He died two years ago.
     Some people will tell you that the pollen only lasts a week, but of course we all know this is not true.  It would also be nice if our Summer would be as mild as our Winter.
     So, Happy Spring to everyone and good luck with the pollen, and by the way I do think it would be fun to grow some herbs such as basil, oregano, chives, parsley and of course my namesake sage!

2 comments:

  1. Pollen and ground moles...God's way of keeping mankind humble.lol

    I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete