Thursday, March 8, 2012

More About Clothes and the Lighter Side of London

     I just wanted to let you know that I took Kendra's advice partly.  I got the jeans in red, but not the yellow.  I will have to think about that for a while, but to my surprise my mother liked my red jeans.  She said they looked like good quality although I got them at a discount store of course.
     I have mentioned in another article about the pink Betsy Johnson jeans I had years ago.  Obviously, I have a thing for colored jeans.  
    If you read my article about loneliness in London, I want to tell you the good things about London, such as how nice, friendly and helpful the British can be.  The other thing is no sales tax although of course pounds are worth more than U.S. dollars of course.  
     In London, in the ninety's when I was there the one time, in fact my only European experience whatsoever, used American Levi's were sold in cool vintage stores.  I got a pair of black ones.  I long ago gave them to the Salvation Army since they got to be to small for me after a while, but I enjoyed them while they lasted.  I also bought two beautiful patchwork dresses from India.  The purple one I still have.  It is long and fits the bodice like a glove.  It hangs in my closet and when I where it, I get compliments.  Then the green one with the attached vest, I wore out completely.  
    I bought a pair of navy suede clogs from Sweden for fifteen pounds which were later stolen, but that is a long story.
    Another beautiful item I purchased was a batik embroidered navy blue top from India.  They were sold on the streets of London everywhere.  I still have that in my closet.  There was also a long skirt which I wore on the plane to India the last time I went in the nineties. That wore out as well.
    We did go out to dinner with some friends of that guy I was with in London.  It was sort of fun, some Japanese lawyer he was selling guitars to and his friends.  The other guy asked him the nature of our relationship.  My friend's reply was, "it's complicated."  That does not say much for the relationship I suppose or me.  The woman said, "he just wanted to know if it was alright to hit on her."  Of course she had a lovely English accent.  They all did.  
     Then we accidentally went to a gay bar which was interesting.  I recall we did go to pubs for drinks and dinner a lot, and always tomatoes with everything.
     Now I will tell you about shopping in the bazaar in Amednagar, India, where Baba's Ashram is located.  I went in a rickshaw with friends from the Pilgrim Center.  First you took a bus to the trust and everyone yelled, "Avatar Meher Baba Ki Jai", which means victory to the Avatar Meher Baba, Avatar basically meaning Messiah or Savior.  Then at the trust you could rent a rickshaw driver to take you to town to shop.  Amednagar is kind of a hick town.  People say "Jai Baba", but I think they might be being sarcastic, I have heard, like making fun of all these westerners who come.
     One day I got separated from my people, and I was scared.  I found a guy who spoke English and asked where King Street was, because I believed that was where our rickshaw was parked and he told me how to get there and I did.  We all met back up there and all was well.
     As far as shopping in India, I bought a light blue scarf with silver thread which I no longer have but now have a dark blue and an aqua blue one, so that is alright.  I went to Amrit's boutique.  Amrit is married to Baba's nephew Dara, who has RP like myself and my children.
     From Amrit, I bought a blue velvet skirt and a patchwork skirt as well as a white dress with a black print that flowed.  I no longer have any of these.  They all wore out long ago.  
     When my son David went to India for Amartiti 2010, he got some clothes made and bought some as well, and bought some guitars.  He ran out of money though and had to sell his computer.  I hope I was not supposed to tell that.  He came home with a shiny rock star shirt, pastel dress shirts and nice fitting dress slacks.  I guess this thing about clothes runs in the family.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment