Thursday, February 6, 2014

Love One Another/ Letting Go of Judgment and Fear

     John 13: 34-35 says "a new command - love one another..."  I read a novel not long ago where this quote came up, and I was on Facebook last night with my son, reading some judgmental comments, thinking this very quote when someone wrote it.  Of course, when human beings start to debate and quarrel, no one is really right or wrong, because I did not necessarily agree with either side.  I have found, however, that if I have extreme views, I need to keep them to myself.  Also, I have to question, are my views compassionate and non-judgmental?  Am I looking at the gray areas or just one part of a whole?  Am I being fair?  Am I coming from love or fear?  Marianne Williamson says that if you come from love, there is no room for a neurotic thought.  I believe this is true.
     The overall problem is that we are all egos, and our nature is to judge.  I admit I judge people.  I make decisions not to spend time with certain people, because they drag me down, etc., but as the bible says in John, I can still love them.  I can love everyone.  My judgment of others and myself as well, is merely fear based.  I can pull away from hurtful people for whatever reason, but this does not mean I have to judge them in any way, good or bad.  It is not black and white.  There are gray areas.  I think the difference between maturity and immaturity is the realization that others exist and have pain, not just you.  Immature people think everything is about them, and cannot really see how others feel at all.
     It is easy to be self-righteous, but if you look back over your life, you must ask yourself, "am I being a hypocrite?  Am I accusing someone of something that I have done too?"
     It is easy to point the finger, and guilt is no better.  Guilt in excess, can become another form of egotism, as if you control the universe, as if you alone, are God. 
     The fact is, we cannot control the universe or others, but we can control ourselves to some degree.  We cannot change or redo the past.  This we have no control over, but we have now, and now is a time to love one another as the bible says.
     I think loving others starts with loving oneself.  Loving oneself is not the same as being a narcissist or an ego maniac.  It is about accepting oneself, having compassion for oneself without self-pity, self-judgment and fear. 
     We are not our story.  Some people constantly want to tell their story, but our story may be our past, but it does not define us.  It is merely a movie, a screen on which our ego has projected a plot like a movie, good or bad.  If we want to heal, we must live in the now, like Eckhart Tolle and Ram Daas talk about in their books.  Marianne Williamson says we are not our story, and I agree with this one-hundred percent.
     So, I feel it is important to obey this command of Jesus Christ, this new command.  Many Christians do not obey this command in their condemnation of gay people, etc..  The way is to accept and love others as brothers and sisters in God.  Even if you think something judgmental, to announce it to everyone, is not only rude, but unnecessary and hurtful to someone's heart for sure.  Just remember John 13: 34-35, the next time one wants to attack anyone, either behind their back or to their face.  This includes me.  I also need to remember.  Thank you for reading.  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment