Thursday, January 30, 2014

Why I Think 'Jack,' in the Stephen King novel, 'The Shining,' in My Opinion, is Stephen King

     Stephen King is one of my favorite writers of fiction.  I have read most of his books on talking books for the blind, now digital, and only available to those legally blind.
     Having read many of his books, I have also read the introductions, forwards and afterwards.  He is a sober alcoholic, sober since the eighties.  He is also a family man.  In many of his books, there is a main character who is a husband, father, and recovering alcoholic, and funny as it is, living in Maine where King is from, and a writer as well.  Basically he is writing about himself, but a writer, professor, who read one of my manuscripts, told me, it is better to write about yourself?  I mean, what better do you really know about.  I felt that American Boys, my e-book, was definitely about me.  I am a woman like Lizzy, independent, struggling, self-sufficient, who makes kids, sons like me, a priority.  Of course, had I had daughters, it would have been just as important, of course. 
     The point was that I knew more about being a mother of boys than of girls.  In King's The Shining, the character played in the movie by Jack Nicolson, remember "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," (and his wife Wendy discovering this writing and freaking out, knowing he's gone mad), is an alcoholic.  I cannot remember from the book or the movie, whether the character Jack, discovered the alcohol, or whether it was metaphysically present, because of the ghosts, but the book makes it evident that he gets drunk.  Alcohol is his issue in the book any way.  I think Stephen King probably felt like he turned into a monster when he drank, and that Jack, in the book and movie, was King having gotten drunk, driven crazy by the ghosts, the isolation, and all hell breaks loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment