Monday, February 24, 2014

New Law in Arizona Absolutely Appalling in its Discrimination Against Gay People

     I received a tweet from one of the famous writers I follow, Jodi Picoult, that now in Arizona, there is a law that would allow businesses to not serve gays, on the basis of their religious views.  I retweeted this, because it is discrimination to say the least.  That seems to be a violation of civil rights.  In fact, it does not seem to be a violation, but is a violation of civil rights.
     There is so much hate and prejudice in the name of so called religion.  Many, many gay people are Christians, who go to church or Jews who go to temple, but many cannot even get married in their own church.  I actually mean most, because most ministers and rabbis will not perform a gay ceremony even where gay marriage is legal.
     I am not a liberal, nor a conservative.  I have views that are moderately conservative, and some that are somewhat liberal.  I also have views that are pretty conservative, such as the belief that citizens have a right to have a gun, so long as the police do.  However, this is another story, and not something I am talking about at the moment.
     Why are people threatened by homosexuality?  A real man would not be homophobic, nor a woman.  Perhaps, people fear their own latent homosexual impulses that perhaps, most people have at least thought of.  I realize I may be going too far here. 
      The only way to look at it is that, what if you had a son or daughter who was gay?  Would you still have a problem with being gay?, and I know I am preaching to the choir, because most of my readers are somewhat liberal.  I am making a point towards them, the haters.  I realize that bad shit happens to people that can make them hate someone, like a boy being molested by a priest, an atrocity and a tragedy, something impossible to recover from, so I am not judging anyone on any level, either way.  How ironic it is, though, considering the fact that most churches are affiliated with the Catholic church and its dogma, even Protestant churches that say the benediction. 
     When you think about it, it is no different from discriminating against gender or race.  I thanked Jodi Picoult, and being a fan of hers, have read novels on these same topics.  Thank you for reading my blog.  It really makes my day for people to enjoy my blog, for what it is worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment