Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Reasons Why a Person Might Not Fit in in Their Community

     Obviously, I am writing this from experience, personal experience that is, but I have also done some research on the subject, because I was looking for solutions to my own situation, and reasons.  I am very analytical at times, and want to break down the cause and effects.  Recently, I was trying to analyze a friend's situation, and she said it was really nice that I thought so rationally. 
     Anyway, this is what I know from my research and experience.  If your belief system is different from those you have grown up around or live around, or have spent much time around, because you yourself changed for any reason, this can be part of it.  For example, if all your friends are Jewish and you joined the Methodist church, family included might ostracize you.  However, you might not fit in at church either, because your background. 
     Another thing that can set a person apart is a disability, blindness, deafness, anything that makes it impossible to drive an automobile, especially in rural communities. 
     Sexual orientation can sometimes cause one to not fit in.  I have always been the intellectual, artistic type, so when I was in high school, the boys I was friends with, were mostly gay, and I was mostly friends with boys, until one day some girls in French class invited me to go out for pizza, and after we went to one of their houses to listen to Elton John's new album, the one that had Candle in the Wind on it.
     I began to have lots of friends my last year in high school and then when I went to college, but my friends were kind of artsy people too.  I belonged to the glee club, French club and drama club in high school.  I was in Annie Get Your Gun in college, where I studied art, music and some modern dance as well as the usual Biology, History, English, etc..
     So, another thing about not fitting in, and of course now I do not fit in very well in my home town, is that the place you grew up in, such as mine, may not be a good fit for you.  If financial problems will not enable you to move, like my case, it can be difficult for you. 
     I have done about as best as I can, joining clubs, groups, taking classes, but it is not easy.  Like the article Kendra Crossen posted to my Facebook page, blindness, even visual impairment like mine, can be off putting to some.  I saw a big change in people's reaction to me when I came back from the school for the blind in Columbia with a cane for the visually impaired.  I was with Alan then, so it was a little easier for me, harder since he died. 
     Well, these are the reasons I know, but I will also say that some of us like me, do not have cult mentality, and cannot be brainwashed, so I do not talk jargon.  I mean, yes and no.  I say a little bit of yoga language, ACIM language, new age, etc., but not constant saying things like, "Jai Baba," but I have my reasons for this, for my distance from the Meher Baba movement.  I just wish people would ask me why I am not into that, wish they understood or tried to.  That is all I can think of for now.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment