Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bohemian, not Bourgeois

     When Alan was alive, I was answering some emails about going to yoga, and 'whoosy getting a massage, yada yada...'  He thought it was bourgeois.  Perhaps.  What was really bourgeois, were the lattes and cappuccinos, especially at Starbucks, the grande, vente...  For me, it was always the talle, the smallest and cheapest, of course.
     You know, a lot of things that some people think sound really fun, don't sound that great to me, perhaps because I don't get to, so I think it wouldn't be that fun, like going to stay in your time share with other bourgeois friends.  It sounds exhausting, even if you were somewhere beautiful.  I don't know.
     I guess it might be fun, sipping margaritas, martinis, or what not, by the pool, ocean, or in your condo.  Come to think of it, it does sound kind of fun.
     When I was a kid, we did some traveling.  First I was born in Mexico.  They were living there, but growing up in the south, I went to interesting places with my parents and family, India, on pilgrimage, Florida, New York and Boston to visit family, Fredricksberg, Virginia, the John Brown museum, Washington D.C., metropolitan museums of art, the Norman Rockwell Museum, in the Berkshires, on the way home from music camp, lived in Woodstock N.Y., til I was four.  I never went out west until I grew up, though.  Then I went to California.
      Every summer, we camped in the Blueridge Parkway, The Smokies, where you could get away from the heat and humidity of South Carolina.
     I went to Lander University in Greenwood, South Carolina.  It was kind of a backward town, but I liked it there okay.  I seemed to fit in there, and had lots of friends, but got burned out by the third year, so I moved back to the beach and went to Coastal Carolina.
     My parents had a timeshare kind of place in Hilton Head, for a little while, but they got ripped off on that, and lost it.  
     My mother, and my kids and I even went to Disney Land in Orlando in '02.  it was pretty fun.
     I guess bourgeois things can be fun.  I just couldn't afford to keep running with bourgeois friends, because I had to get the talle, and not the vente, at Starbucks.
     I wish Myrtle Beach was like San Francisco, where even back in '81, you could get a coffee at Tassalahara, a zen Buddhist coffee shop.  I feel like I am so behind the times.  I did not even read Women Who Run With the Wolves, until like a few months ago.  But, I know worse, like people who talk about Louise Haye and rebirthing, like they just heard about it.  How eighties, like iridology, "oh my God, your eyes aren't blue or brown, you're sick.  You are about to keel over...!  OMG, you have a mark, right where the female organs go!..."
     This is all tongue in cheek of course, but I miss Alan and his remarks.  One time he came to the center with my friend Nancy and me.  My son was playing that night.  Some guy had a flat tire, so Nancy was driving and I was in front with her.  We gave him a ride, and he sat in back with Alan.  He was saying how it must be Baba's will...  Alan said, "no it's not.  It just happened."  He was an atheist.  He could not get over the posters of Baba, in my mother's house, that said, "love me, love me more and more..."  For a non-Baba person, that is hard to understand.
     Well, how I went from bourgeois to Baba, I don't know.  Someday, I will write a book, famous words of Alan, like kids, that say the darnedest things...  or 'out of the mouths of babes', as they say.
     But seriously, I mean, am I just kidding myself, that I don't want to be bourgeois?  I mean, I like dryer sheets and fabric softener, Walmart, etc..  Maybe I am a little bourgeois, after all.  OMG!  Walmart, the big evil, how politically incorrect I am!

2 comments:

  1. You sound like an honest Bohemian just trying to get by in a Bourgeois world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely the truth, Chris.

    ReplyDelete