Monday, August 20, 2012

Some Good Ideas About Stretching a Dollar in Tough Times

     Many are having hard times, and there is a lot of uncertainty for the future of many Americans.  I have decided to pull myself up by my bootstraps, rather than how depressed I have been feeling about politics and bad possibilities, going around with a sense of sorrow and feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders, sorrow for every nonhumanitarian event in history and every tragedy, thinking that I will be an unwanted burden and feeling like everyone is looking at me like "why are even here?..."  I know, silly, self-pity.  Truthfully I am concerned about society and our country and many many people who I do not want to suffer.
     So, I no longer watch the news, but I have some good ideas for making a dollar stretch and maintaining a fairly comfortable lifestyle.
     One thing is utilities, saving on the water bill by taking shorter showers, although I know the therapeutic value a long hot shower and washing one's hair and body can have, so there are other alternatives to saving water which is also good for the planet.  You can run less water when washing dishes, put more clothing in the washing machine, and do not buy bottled water, but filter it in a water filtering pitcher.
     Another thing to save on is the electric bill or what good ole' country folk call the light bill.  Light hurts my eyes, so for me it is not a problem to have less lights on.  No, I am goth sometimes in my attitude but not a vampire thank you very much, it is just the retinitis pigmentosa.  I also find it not necessary to keep one's home really cold, perhaps 79degrees is cool enough and 65 in winter.
     OK, this may be a bit goofy, but I am having fun.  You can buy stuff at Goodwill and just wash it really well.  I do.  I admit I like nice clothes and kitchen, housewares, etc, but I have decided to only treat myself to one nice thing a month.  Also, I will only buy where I can find the cheapest.  For example, I have to use really expensive over the counter eye drops, but I found the kind I am supposed to use, or close anyway, for much cheaper at Dollar General.
      Now, food is a big important thing.  We all have to eat and get nutrition.  I find that if I shop for fresh fruits and vegetables very carefully in terms of price, that I can economize.  I also buy the least expensive coffee, etc, and now I eat very little meat, just soy milk, free range cage free eggs if on sale and yogurt, sometimes cottage cheese.  I buy the cheapest healthy bread I can find that has the least amount of wheat because I have become gluten and dairy intolerant for the most part, but not totally.
      I usually buy the cheapest toilet paper and paper towels. As far as hygiene and house cleaning products, I like them to be the least toxic, the ones not antibacterial, because those are bad for the ecosystem and water, and also bad for your natural immunity.  Sometimes if a product is really better and only a dollar or so more I think it is worth it.  
     When I have to use caustic substances, as we all do from time to time, I wear a mask and gloves, and of course my glasses cover my eyes. 
     When I had cats, I had to buy decent cat food, because the neutered males have sensitive urinary systems, and good cat litter is important.  The dog in the picture is Coco Puffs a friend's dog.  Sometimes I take care of Ruben, my mother's dog, and dog food is another necessity for dog owners. You pretty much have to buy the kind they will eat.
     I guess I have basically covered it.  Of course, if you drive, you have to look for cheaper gas, but I do not drive so that is one thing I do not have to worry about.
     Well, I guess that covers it.  One last thing, just because something is torn or messed up, the art of mending things and darning socks still exists.  LOL

2 comments:

  1. Current politics is depressing to say the least.
    Just checking back for any new posts you may have written.
    I’ve been a follower on your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I will look. I am pretty sure I have read your blog, but it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete