Thursday, September 11, 2014

Too Much Stuff/ Too Little Money/ Less Stuff Equals More Money

American commerce is a big thing.  I do not usually like to discuss money, but it seems like when I have too much stuff, I do not have enough money, and when I have less stuff, clothing, blankets, CD's or you name it, I can pay my bills with more ease.

When I was growing up in the sixties and seventies, we had so few clothes, one jacket, one pair of jeans, one pair of shoes, shorts were cut-off jeans, and you wore hand-me-downs.  This was because 1) clothes were more expensive then, and 2) I grew up in a rural area without any nearby stores.  You picked stuff up at a Sears pick up place, and there was one major department store about thirty minutes away called 'Chapin,' which is today closed.  They had everything from food to hardware to clothing for every member of the family.

When I was in my early twenties, I lived in Los Angeles, was married, worked and had a baby in daycare.  However, we were really poor, and I had very few clothes.  The ones I did have were outdated and out of style.  I must have looked like such a small town girl. 

Once, however, I received fifty dollars from my mother for Christmas in the mail.  I went down to Melrose Avenue, and I bought a pair of black stretch skinny jeans.  Believe it or not, they were a size three.  I wore those pants a lot.  But, back to present.

I guess I cannot seem to balance my obtaining and purging process.  Just when I think I have it down to a science, I think I need something.  However, I can go a long time with things falling apart before I break down and get another.  Part of that is transportation, and the other half is financial.  I am still wondering who I will get to do carpentry around here. 

I guess the thing to think about is, 'do I need this?'  I guess need is more important than want in the big picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment