Friday, August 8, 2014

Becoming a Minimalist


There is a new way of living called being a minimalist.  I am one of those people.  Surprisingly, in a world where materialism is the norm, and people are trying to keep up with the Jones's, getting more bigger and better stuff, including cars, houses, etc., there is a new type of living which is becoming more popular.  This is called minimalism.

For one thing, most people these days, have too much of everything, except maybe not much money.  Many of us try to live beyond our means, and also drowning in stuff.  That is right, stuff.  For ten years, after I moved into my mobile home, I procrastinated on simplifying my existence. 

Eventually, I began to go through everything with a fine tooth comb, getting rid of so much junk I moved into my home, as well as acquired everywhere from The Salvation Army to the Columbia Mall.

I will give examples of things people often have too much of or too many of: 1) clothes, 2) dishes and glasses, etc., mugs... 3) sheets and towels, 4) shoes, 5) hangers, and 6) cosmetics, beauty products and medications that are old and expired.  Even perfumed oils and make-up have expiration dates, even if not written on them.  The details of this would be a topic for another blog.

I guess what took me so long was all the personal complications and relationships in my life.  And then, not that my life is easy or uncomplicated, my life became more peaceful.  Or perhaps I did, maybe not externally, but in my own self.  I found that I had time to clean and purge myself of all the junk.  I went through my stuff, and I eliminated all the things I no longer needed or wanted.  It was such a good feeling, and suddenly I had so much more space.  I really believe the concept of Feng Shui, that it helps to get rid of clutter.

I saw a video and looked at a blog about these tiny houses people are now living in.  Although, to be honest, I would love to have a bigger home and more space, but for now I have a place that is mine and beautiful, a haven that I can kick back in, that is mine, and that I can share with my kids.  I might even get a cat again, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment